Windycon Art Show
Download Art Show Rules (.pdf)
Download Art Show Application and Control Forms(.pdf)
Download Art Show Resale Forms(.pdf)
Windycon 42 Art Show Rules
- Windycon is a science-fiction convention, running from November 13-15, 2015. All artwork must somehow relate to science fiction, fantasy, or actual science. (Fortunately, this leaves lots of room to
work in.) While Windycon encourages and has enjoyed a wide and varied assortment of styles and subject matter of art in the art show, we reserve the right to reject any art which violates local laws.
Due to the growing number of children attending Windycon, we also reserve the right to move to an adult section any art determined to be inappropriate for our under age attendees.
- Art Show and Print Shop Hours
- 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM (artist setup)
4:00 PM – 9:00 PM (open to membership)
- 10:00 AM – 6:30 PM (open to membership)
5:00 PM – 6:30 PM (Wine and cheese Reception, Docent Tour)
8:00 PM – Art Auction (there will be limited pickup after the auction)
- 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM (open for pickup, Print Shop, and After Auction sales)
- Art Show and the Print Shop and What Goes Where
- Art may be displayed in either the Art Show or the Print Shop, but the same image may not be displayed in both. The only exception is that you may display the original of a piece in the Art Show
while selling prints of it in the Print Shop.
- Just to be absolutely clear about it, yes, it’s ok to display a signed and numbered print from a run of 1000 or less in the Art Show, but you can only display one copy of that print in the Art Show.
Multiple copies (or prints that are not signed and numbered) go to the Print Shop.
- Display Space For Flat Art and 3-D Art
- Flat art must be matted or framed and will be hung on sturdy commercial grid. Each section of grid is two feet wide and seven feet tall. You’re welcome to hang your art as low on the grid as
you think is reasonable. Limited display space is available on grid that is up against a wall for those artists who worry about people seeing other art through the open grid, but that grid will
have tables in front of it for display of three-dimensional art.
- 3-D art can be displayed on tables that are 6 feet long and 18 inches deep. If you have something that won’t fit in that space, let us know ahead of time so we can re-arrange and make something
- We ask that you please reserve space in advance of the show by sending a check payable to Windycon for the approximate amount of your hanging fees and telling us how much space that you’d like to
reserve. Our hanging fees are remaining per-piece, but space reservations have changed to the following:
We reserve the right to rearrange displays in order to fit more artwork into the show.
Control Sheets and Bid Sheets
- 6 foot by 18 inch table only – not including the grid (shared bay)
- 2 foot by 6 foot bay without the table in front of it (shared bay)
- 2 foot by 6 foot bay including the table in front of it (unshared bay)
- 4 feet of grid – we have changed our layout away from bays – tell me how many 4’ wide sections you will need
Hanging Fees and Commissions
- If you’d like, we’ll be happy to mail you control sheets before the convention. Just ask. You can also find the control sheets in fill-and-print PDF format on the Windycon website. You’re welcome
to fill out your control sheets at the con, but if we get them by the mail-in deadline, we’ll already have them in the computer and have bid sheets printed for you when you get to the con.
NOTE: We are printing the bid sheets. Do NOT use the RESALE bid sheets unless you are selling pre-owned art.
- Each piece that is displayed must be labeled with the artist’s name and title of the piece.
- Print shop pieces must include a price in addition to artist’s name and title.
- Pieces displayed in the Art Show must include a minimum bid price or be clearly labeled Not For Sale (NFS).
- Pieces that do not have an After Auction price will only be sold through the bidding process. These should be marked ‘N/A’ in the After Auction space on the control sheet.
- Pre-owned art that is being re-sold MUST use the RESALE bid sheets which must include the name of the current owner. The entire proceeds from the sale of pre-owned art (less commission)
will be paid to the current owner.
Mailing In Art
- The Art Show charges a hanging fee of $0.50 (50 cents) per piece. Although there is no hanging fee for the Print Shop, space there is limited and once it is full, it’s full.
Hanging fees must be paid when the art is checked into the Art Show.
- Windycon charges a 10% commission on all sales from both Art Show and Print Shop.
Artist Demo Table Rules
- Windycon accepts mail-in art for display in both Art Show and Print Shop.
- All art that is mailed in must include:
- An email address and/or phone number where you can be reached
- check or money order payable to Windycon for hanging fees (Art Show only)
- a pre-paid shipping label or a check or money order payable to Windycon sufficient to pay for return shipping and insurance (if desired) on the artwork. Any excess will be returned.
NOT SEND STAMPS as we cannot return overage.
- Filled out control sheet
- A return mailing address label (your address, not mine)
- All packaging must be reusable so that we can send the artwork back in it.
- A hanging diagram is optional
- Please specify your preferred carrier for shipping artwork and the address where you want it shipped back on your control sheet. Any not marked will be returned UPS ground.
- Mail-in art must arrive no later than Friday, November 6th, 2014 and should be sent to:
419 Springsouth Rd.
Schaumburg, IL 60193-3547
Picking Up Unsold Art and Getting Paid for Sold Art
- All Artists must have a Windycon membership. No membership is included with table rental. There is NO separate artist alley this year. The artist demo tables are INSIDE the art show – no
need to tear-down every night. These can provide power and security. The artist alley is in the art programming room and must be vacated every night.
- Artists must be actively engaged in their craft. Simply sitting and selling is prohibited.
- Selling custom made work on demand is encouraged; selling pre-made work is limited to four (4) small pieces or equivalent on display at any one time.
- Windycon reserves the right to adjust these rules as necessary to maintain a professional atmosphere and provide the highest possible service to our members.
- Tables in the art show are $20 for half a 6’ by 30” table or $30 for a full table. Fees are due and payable at the convention. Checks should be made out to Windycon and given to the Art Show Director.
- Apply for an artist demo table in the art show by sending your request to:
Subject: Artist Demo Table
Art Show Security
- Artists or their agents must pick up unsold artwork by 2:00 PM on Sunday. Art that is not picked up will be shipped back to the artist and the artist will be charged for shipping and an
additional handling fee of $20.00.
- We will write checks for sold art on Sunday. If you need to leave before that, we’ll mail you the check during the week following the convention.
- Mail-in art will be returned (and a check in payment for sales) during the week following the convention.
- Cameras are not allowed in the Art Show.
- Food and beverage are not allowed in the Art Show.
- Only Windycon members will be allowed in the Art Show unless special arrangements have been made with the Art Show director.
Picking Up Purchased Art
- Bidders must be members of Windycon. As a handy side effect, we’ll give you a card to record the pieces that you’ve bid on for your reference (it’s called the back of your badge).
- Bidders may write in bids on pieces in the Art Show until 6:30 PM Saturday night. Bids must be in whole dollars.
- Pieces with 1 or 2 bids as of closing on Saturday are sold to the current high bidder.
- Pieces with 3 or more bids as of closing will be sold at the voice auction on Saturday night.
- There will be no Sunday bidding on pieces in the Art Show. Only pieces with an After Auction price filled in will be sold.
- Pieces in the Print Shop may be purchased at any time when the Print Shop is open. Buyers may take these items at the time of purchase.
Items Not Covered Above
- If you are the high bidder on a piece of art, you must pick up and pay for your purchase using cash, checks, travelers checks, Discover, Visa, or MasterCard.
- Art may be picked up after the Art Auction (starting at about 10 PM) or on Sunday before 2:00 PM.
- You are more than welcome to look around and purchase After Auction pieces while picking up and paying for art you won via bid sheet or live auction.
- If there’s something that’s not covered in the above rules, we’ll talk it over and try to come up with a reasonable rule to cover the situation.
- Please remember that Windycon is a volunteer organization. Everyone here is doing their level best to act in a courteous and professional manner – while making you some money – because
that’s the way we ought to do it. If somebody’s doing a good job for you, thank them. It goes a long way. And if they’re not doing a good job, let the Art Show director know – or, if she’s the one you think has created the problem, let the Windycon Chairperson know. Either or both can be contacted on the Contact Us page on the web site. We want to know what the problems are and we want to find solutions.
- And, yes, we really will try to be reasonable.